Thanks, much appreciated. Turns out it was ne2k-pci. Added that to the
file you mentioned and it was all good.

Thanks, Tom

On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 11:56 -0500, sHadoW MaN wrote:
> Hi
>
> This is certainly because you haven't loaded your network card driver at
> boot time. Be sure you have entered your driver name ( I am not sure maybe
> it's 8029too) at file /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6. You can use nano
> text editor to edit the file...
>
> Cheers
>

> cApTaiN_FaNtAsTiK
>

> >From: Tom Haddon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
> >Subject: [gentoo-user] eth0 does not exist
> >Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 16:27:48 +0000
> >
> >Hi Folks,
> >
> >Very new to Gentoo, although not to Linux. I'm trying it out in QEMU,
> >and have just completed the installation. Only problem is I can't seem
> >to connect to the internet. QEMU is basically meant to provide an
> >emulated network card to the OS it's hosting. Works fine for the install
> >CD. Anyway, seeing as I was very new to the whole thing, I went with the
> >genkernel option. As I say, everything seems to boot fine, except that I
> >get this message:
> >
> >Starting eth0
> >   Bringing up eth0
> >     dhcp
> >       eth0 does not exist
> >ERROR: problem starting needed services.
> >         "netmount" was not started
> >
> >I've tried /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start and /etc/init.d/netmount start and
> >they both complain that eth0 doesn't exist. But if I do lspci I see my
> >emulated network card right there:
> >
> >00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> >RTL-8029(AS)
> >
> >Can anyone help out? Am I just missing a kernel module?
> >
> >Tom Haddon
> >mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> >You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.

> Envoyer des courriels créatifs est aussi amusant que d’en recevoir. Utilisez
> de la papeterie, des polices et des couleurs spéciales
> http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=fr-ca&page=features/richmail Commencez dès
> maintenant à profiter de tous les avantages de MSN Premium et obtenez les
> deux premiers mois GRATUITS*.

Tom Haddon
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

It is easy to find fault, if one has that disposition.  There was once a man
who, not being able to find any other fault with his coal, complained that
there were too many prehistoric toads in it.