Harry Putnam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> . . . . . . . . . . . . . ... I'm in need of sound on my
> unix box and kind of quickly.  I never even configure sound or want it
> as a rule but now I need it to test some recording equipment on a
> second winxp computer with m-audio delta-66 installed.

This was solved by going thru the Alsa Guide.  But I got a sneaking
suspiciion that my main trouble was not understanding that play stuff
would only work for root.  So naturally anything in KDE desktop would
be my user.

I never thought to try playing as root.

So now all fixed and added my user to audio group as stipulated in
ALSA Guide.