I'm trying to setup a qmail sever via the documention found at gentoo.org. I have used these instructions before and all went ok, however now I'm having problems. Everything is starting fine, but when a user tries to auth I get their clients are telling them the server quit and the following is being logged in /var/log/messages

Code:

Mar  3 22:24:35 zues pop3d-ssl: LOGIN FAILED, user=[EMAIL PROTECTED], ip=[XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX]
Mar  3 22:24:35 zues pop3d-ssl: authentication error: No such file or directory

for the life of me I can't figure out where the problem is. courier-imap is being built with vchkpw the authdaemonrc config file is setup correctly (at least according to the documentation).. what else could be the problem?