On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 05:08:03PM -0500, Peter wrote:
> Well, if Richard's suggestion about USE=dvd-read does not work, make sure
> the device is NOT mounted. Some dvd writers access hardware directly and
> therefore mounts will mess with that. Otherwise, check the program's
> usenet groups and bug reports.

I got it working by setting the USE variable in package.use.  Odd, it used
to work without needing that.

> Unfortunately, it's been my experience that for DVD authoring and anything
> more than plain copying or burning files (i.e. most things beyond
> mkisofs), linux is a lot of work. Best to have a M$ partition and use
> whatever software you need for a particular task.

dvd::rip has worked well for me in the past for making divx files (via
transcode) from a DVD.  For ripping a DVD9, compressing, and burning to
DVD5 I find that using DVD Shrink under wine works quite well.