On 3/6/06, A.R.S. KA9QLQ Alvin Koffman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I looked at gentoo about 2 years back when I wanted to switch from
> Mandrake, I went with Mepis and realy liked 3.3 but 3.4-3 doesn't seem as
> good. Don't like how they changed the reopositories. So I thought I'd look
> to gentoo again, and am please to see they're really making progress.
> Looks like there's a live cd with a graphical install from what I've read.

Yeah, I tried it this weekend, damn good if you ask me. I tried an
alternative way it provides, creating the stage3 dynamic with the
packages in the livecd. 2 hours and I got a full working environment
with X and all the stuff... 1 day later it was all configured and
updated...

> I remember asking about a graphical frountend [like synaptit in Mepis] and
> was told "we're working on it." How's it coming?

Never heard of it, but I kinda like emerge command line style.

> I see it still leans heavly on Gnome but a KDE version is on it's way,
> that will help with popularity.

I hate KDE (MHO, no flames please), but you're right, anyway, I guess
you don't need kde for a graphical installer interface, I mean, Gnome
loads in half the time and provides you what you need (don't get me
wrong, Im a fluxbox user, so I hate Gnome as well).

> I have a Celleron 2.9 gig 80 gig hd X 2 and 160 gig sata Diamond Stealth
> P90 nvidia fx 5200 video, and winsurf tv card that likes to lock my systom
> up grrrr and dsl.
>
> Will the dvd have a ton of stuff? I see the live cd is only 200 meg, that
> seems kinda small. Be nice to see xvkbd in it for people who can't use
> their hands well.

I bet the LiveDVD will be awesome, I wonder if it will come with all
the packages binaries updated, damn good for new installs, In about 3
hours you get a full working environment and start working while
portage 15 nicened update everything else in the background.

> Just wondering.
> Alvin
>
> For the best jerky you've ever had go to
> http://alk.jerkydirect.com/
> My home page
> http://ka9qlq.tripod.com
> This PC is windows free with Mepis Linux 3.4-3
> http://www.mepis.org/
> 1(747)632-4973 SIP
> Get Gizmo 1 cent per minuet calling
> http://www.gizmoproject.com/