Thanks now I understand the default USE flags I see, I think. And
apologies for not searching the manual first.

But I still do not understand  why flags like mmx (or 3dnow) flags
that i put in the /etc/make.conf file is not getting picked up.

Am i right in my understanding that emerge --info reports the "sum" of
all the USE flags from all the make.defaults and /etc/make.conf ? so
it should show mmx when i put it there.

regards

Kumar