On 3/8/06, Kumar Golap <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The mmx USE flag is not supported on the amd64 profile.  The processor
> > does support mmx instructions, but (I think) only when operating in
> > 32-bit mode.  So it probably doesn't make sense to have an amd64
> > profile with the mmx/sse/3dnow use flags.  Presumably there are better
> > processor instructions for a true 64-bit multi-media application to
> > use...
> >

> Ah alright thanks ...i did not know  that mmx 3dnow flags /
> instruction set was for the 32 bit operation only

Don't thank me.  I was wrong.

As an example, take a look at the following from the mplayer ebuild:

       # mplayer now contains SIMD assembler code for amd64
        # AMD64 Team decided to hardenable SIMD assembler for all users
        # Danny van Dyk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 2005/01/11
        if use amd64; then
                myconf="${myconf} --enable-3dnow --enable-3dnowex
--enable-sse --enable-sse2 --enable-mmx --enable-mmx2"
        fi

In this case, since mplayer knows how to use both 64-bit and mmx/sse
instructions simultaneously, the ebuild adds all of this stuff for
amd64 users.  No use flags required.

-Richard