On 3/9/06, Jim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hey group,
>
> I am a long time Linux user, however I am new to Gentoo.  I used Red
> Hat/Fedora for many years, then my own Linux based on LFS and the last
> year I have been using Ubuntu.
>
> I really like Ubuntu because of apt, however I have had frustrations
> with Ubuntu because it could be a pain to get newer versions of packages
> installed.  For example Ubuntu defaulted to Apache 1.x for mod_mono.
>
> I have now been using Gentoo for a few days and I am running into some
> issues I hope this group can help with.  At first emerge was trying to
> merge some really old packages.  For example I wanted mysql 5.x, php 5.x
> and Apache 2.x and Gentoo was only going to install mysql 4.x.  I did
> find out about ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" which has helped with getting more
> recent versions of software installed.

Welcome!!!

> I am looking for any good links, tips, suggestions of admin software to
> emerge, etc to help me learn the ins-and-outs of Gentoo.  I have tons of
> questions but don't know where to look.  Well, I can google but that
> takes ages and I was hoping many of you on this list will have a nice
> set of bookmarks on gentoo admin, handy gentoo software, tips etc.

http://www.gentoo.org -> Docs
Lots of info, migrating guides, howtos, and initial setup.

http://forums.gentoo.org/
Any doubts, search first, ask later...

http://gentoo-wiki.com/
LOTS of specific, hardware, software and configuration related topics.

> Some tasks I could do in Fedora/Ubuntu that I want to know how to do on
> Gentoo:
>
> See list of all *installed* software.

kuroo is good, porthole seemed to do that too, but it segfault in one
of my system.

http://packages.gentoo.org

> See what version of a particular software package is installed.

eix <package>

> See if any new versions of *installed* software are available.

emerge -u world -pv

Also take a look at man emerge, man portage and the use of packages.*
files. Avoid setting stuff at command line, like ACCEPT_KEYWORDS for
example, use /etc/portage/packages.keywords.

--
Daniel da Veiga
Computer Operator - RS - Brazil