I am a jfs user as well and would recommend (especially on a laptop)
to add the line that was recommended above:

> root (hd0,1)
> kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.15-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/hda2

to the bottom of your /boot/grub/grub.conf.  Often when I hard reboot
(power failures, etc), reading the bootsplash stuff seems to take
priority over checking the fs.  The simple solution for me is to leave
a non-nonsense 'failsafe' line in grub and boot into it so that my fs
gets repaired and then reboot normally.  You could achieve the same
thing by editting the grub command at boot, but this seems like a
simple alternative.  HTH.

-- Travis