Mark Knecht:
> Well...I did my best, but it wasn't good enough. The machine no
> longer boots to any level that a user could use. I'm told there are
> lots of messages on the screen about being unable to find files.
> (/usr/bin, /usr/sbin sort of things...)

That happened to me too ;-)
But the reason was quickly clear: I had deleted /usr instead
of /usr/*!
Remember:

> 9. delete the old /usr directory to free the unused space:
> cd /mnt/something/usr
> rm -rf *
> NB: do not delete /usr itself, just its contents, as /usr is the
> mount point for the new partition;

Let us suppose that your /etc/fstab looks like:

/dev/hda1 /boot <type> <opts> <dump/pass>
/dev/hda2 / <type> <opts> <dump/pass>
/dev/hda3 /usr <type> <opts> <dump/pass>

The first and simplest try: reboot from a livecd, then:

mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/something
ls /mnt/something/usr

If /mnt/something/usr doesn't exist, then:

mkdir /mnt/something/usr
reboot

You could check that the new /usr partition is there, before
rebooting:

mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/something_else
ls /mnt/something_else

The old /usr contents should be there. Why not?
So, if your reboot doesn't work, reboot again from a livecd and
check /etc/fstab.

Let me/us know!

Sergio