On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 08:59:09PM -0500, Penguin Lover Jim squawked:
> I was wondering if anyone has some easy to do tips for checking the
> security of Apache.  I am running Apache/2.0.55.  Is apache good with
> handling bad URL's?  I remember with an IIS server I use to have I
> needed to install a url filter to help it out.  I noticed that I get
> requests like the following in my apache log:
>
> 70.121.133.60 - - [07/Mar/2006:21:31:05 -0500] "SEARCH
> /\x90\xc9\xc9\xc9\xc9\xc9\
>
> The above is one line and it is 30,000 characters long in the log file.

Near the end of that line should be the HTTP return code Apache gave
for that request. What is it?

On my box it always returns 414 (Request-URI too long), so I doubt it
would be a problem, beyond a major annoyance when going through the
logs with 'less'.

A URI string like that is almost certainly a client trying to exploit
a buffer overflow. I've never seen it being a problem with my
(limited) experience running apache.

HTH,

You're not paranoid.
The world _IS_ fucked.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 118 days, 21:18