Walter Dnes <waltdnes <at> waltdnes.org> writes:

>   The whole point behind "-*" is to prevent future "surprises".
> Yesterday it was emboss and ipv6.  Today it's apache2.  What's next; and
> when?  One reason I'm using Gentoo is because I want the maximum control
> over my machine that's possible without going to LFS.  Starting USE with
> "-*" is part of my strategy for maintaining control.

Walter,

You are so right, it scary. I fumbled around for a while before discovering
this on my first gentoo firewall. It should be pointed out and emphasised
during the installation and maintenance docs, in my opinion.

Now, my firewalls work flawlessly, within the parenthetical limitations of
iptables...

James