On Monday 13 March 2006 21:47, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> Hyper-Transport is a way for CPUs to exchange data directly rather than
> going through a memory controller, thus allowing limited resources (L1/2/3
> cache) to be used more effectively.  In particular, process migration
> causes fewer cache misses.
>
> Hyper-Threading is a way for a CPU to pretend to be two, thus causing the
> system to request/require more resources than are available.
>
> Hyper-Transport attempts to alleviate a bottleneck, while Hyper-Threading
> increases the load on an existing one.

I apreciate that AMD certainly seem to have the memory bandwidth/throughput
thing nailed, and their processors stand tall as a result. but I doubt that a
p4 would perform near as well without a large part of the enginered
paralelism that comes as part HThreading, compared to a purely serial system.

I can certainly tell you that compiling (as an example) *wihtout* HT enabled
on my P4 is a bad idea, takes nearly 4 times as long.

--

Woman:  I'm not going to press charges, but I assume you'll want to
        punish him.

Homer:  'Preciate the suggestion, lady, but he hates that.  And I
        gotta live with him.

Bart:   You're the man, Homer.

                   Bart After Dark