On Monday 13 March 2006 16:01, Mike Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote about
'Re: [gentoo-user] Mobo/proc combination':
> On Monday 13 March 2006 21:09, Jim wrote:
> > Is there a how-to on going 64-bit with Gentoo?  Anything special to do
> > with/for the kernel to go 64-bit?
>
> Reinstall.
> You need a 64bit toolchain to compile a 64bit kernel, and getting a
> 64bit toolchain is no mean feat.

As I covered before.  With gentoo, it's easy:
emerge -u crossdev
crossdev -s1 -t x86_64

(It should be noted that crossdev might attempt to install a hard-masked or
profile-masked cross compiler [because of some minor limitations...], so
you might want to fiddle with the versions...)

That gets you enough to compile the kernel.  If you want a full toolchain
you can change the stage to 4:
crossdev -s4 -t x86_64

If you need a debugger, add --ex-gdb.  If you need fortran and other
languages, support add --ex-gcc.

> Just reinstall. Do it in a chroot while the system is running. You might
> also have to compile the kernel from a 64bit livecd environment.

The kernel is actually the easiest thing to compile as 64-bit.  Then, once
you are in that 64-bit kernel you should be able to move you userland to
64-bit without bringing down the system.

A chroot install might be easier, though, if you have the space available.

Reboots are for hardware upgrades, not software. :P  I just need to figure
out how to use /proc/kmem to move to a new kernel w/o rebooting.  (kexec
might work, too.)

--
"If there's one thing we've established over the years,
it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest