Hello to all.

After an exciting week of a failed hard drive (/usr, /home, /var) killing
the IDE port on the motherboard, I've finally got my gentoo box running
again.  Thank gawd for backups (/home, /var, /etc and all data).

I finished the 'emerge -e world', but have a couple issues.
First, when issuing the 'su' command, I enter the password and then get

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ su -
Password:
configuration error - unknown item 'FAILLOG_ENAB' (notify administrator)
configuration error - unknown item 'LASTLOG_ENAB' (notify administrator)
configuration error - unknown item 'MOTD_FILE' (notify administrator)
configuration error - unknown item 'FTMP_FILE' (notify administrator)
configuration error - unknown item 'ENV_ROOTPATH' (notify administrator)
configuration error - unknown item 'PASS_MIN_LEN' (notify administrator)
configuration error - unknown item 'CHFN_AUTH' (notify administrator)
root ~ $

As you can see, I still get the root shell, but I'd like to get rid of the
errors.  I know these 'items' are all in /etc/login.defs, but I don't know
how to get pam-login to play nice.  I've seen other questions answered with
changes to baselayout and/or bash, so I re-emerged both of these.  No
change.

Secondly, I've got a cron that updates nightly and mails me the results.
One of the lines is

diff-eix /var/cache/eix.old | Mail -s "New packages on $(hostname)" root

The part I can't figure out is the 'Mail' command.  Even after emerging
world, I have no 'Mail' on my system.  In fact, I have no 'mail' either.
What I have in my world file is

root ~ $ grep -i mail /var/lib/portage/world
mail-filter/procmail
mail-client/mailx-support
mail-filter/spamassassin
net-mail/fetchmail
mail-mta/postfix

I can get mail from the roadrunner stmp server without any problem, but have
an issue with local mail.  This worked for months, so I know I'm just
forgetting something I did a long time ago.  Any idea what I need to
emerge, or where the solution may lie?

Thanks.  And backup tonight!

Peter
--
Psychology.  Mind over matter.  Mind under matter?  It doesn't matter.
Never mind.