On Thursday 16 March 2006 18:55, Matthias Bethke wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> on Thursday, 2006-03-16 at 12:44:15, you wrote:
> > > "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1" (but if there isn't any
> > > data on that drive, then go and try this...)
> >
> > Thanks for the reply, I tried your suggestion but it didn't make any
> > difference.
>
> If there's nothing on it yet, you can of course zero-out the whole
> disk---bit of an overkill but will do the job :) I would have thought
> killing the boot sector would do it as well but then perhaps the volume
> manager could be looking for a root sector?
>
> cheers!
>   Matthias
Normally it wouldn't

Problems like this can usually be solved by
1. wiping the first few sectors on the harddisk (I usually do "dd if=/dev/zero
of=/dev/sda bs=1k count=100", I know it's way more then neede but it never
hurts and types just as fast ;))
2. (s/c)fdisk the drive and create the new partition and reboot after it to be
certain the partition table is read again (I've seen otherwise before)
3. mke2fs, mkreiserfs, or something similar :)

--
Rick van Hattem Rick.van.Hattem(at)Fawo.nl