On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:21:17 -0500
"Nick Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> i have a new laptop that is giving me fits when i try to get any
> distro of linux installed.  i was actually able to install gentoo and
> got it to boot (this is my first amd64 machine) but i cant get it to
> pull an ip address via dhcp i get this in the syslog:
>
> dhcpcd[6038]: dhcpStart: ioctl SIOCSIFFLAGS: Function not implemented
>
> i did install dhcpcd on the install so that should be working, and i
> do have the 8139too driver compiled into the kernel like i normally
> do.  what am i missing here?
>
> thanks for any help
>
> Nick

I had similar problems with a new Centrino laptop.  The wireless would
not work, neither would the regular network port.  I first tried to
boot with the kernel parameter acpi=off.  This worked for me, however I
then lost all acpi funtions so I could not use SpeedStep or see how
much battery life I had.

I kept searchig and found irqpoll as a kernel boot option.  Using that
fixed my wireless up and allowed me to get my battery status.  I think
it all had to do with irq sharing and conflicts.

Try booting up with the irqpool kernel boot option or the acpi=off boot
option and see what you get.

Jim