On Thursday 16 March 2006 15:03, James wrote:
> Dmitry S. Makovey <dmitry <at> athabascau.ca> writes:
> > since packages you use (I assume KDE etc.) are not using qt4
> > (i.e. require specifically qt3 branch) portage doesn't find any
> > reasons to bump version of qt. AFAIR Qt is a slotted package and
> > you can safely go ahead and do
> > emerge =x11-libs/qt-4.1.1
> > but you packages wouldn't use it.
>
> Ok this kinda makes sense. But what exactly is a 'slotted package',
> how do I determine when a packages is slotted, and where do I read
> more about 'slotted'? I see this term used ofen, but, really have
> no clue exactly what slotted means or if it has various meanings
> based on the context of it's (verbiage) usage.

in /usr/portage/x11-libs/qt/qt-4.1.1.ebuild check the line SLOT="4"
and compare it to /usr/portage/x11-libs/qt/qt-3.3.5.ebuild:
SLOT="3"

which indicates that those installed in different slots (in basic
terms - those could be installed side by side without affecting
existing applications unless they explicitly dependant on specific Qt
version).

there are quite a few "slotted" packages in portage so you might bump
into this every now and then (KDE is slotted AFAIR).

--
Dmitry Makovey
Web Systems Administrator