On 3/17/06, John Jolet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yes, I expose this machine's port 25 on purpose.  So I would like
> to make
> it a good netizen.
>
> I had done this with sendmail in previous distros, but am a
> neophyte with
> Postfix.  Right now I want to verify if I have (or am) a problem.
with postfix, it will, by default ONLY accept mail for which it
considers itself the final destination for, or destinations that are
in relay_domains.  typically, out of the box, it will not relay mail
for anyone, though it will accept mail for it, as resolved from the
box's fqdn, or mydestination.

I have mine set up to also allow you to relay if you authenticate
(using sasl, via pam...or pam via sasl, if you want to look at it
that way).  basically that means I can send mail using this server
from any network, as long as I set my client up to authenticate on
send.  but you can't randomly use it as a relay.