On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:10:45 +0000, THUFIR HAWAT wrote:

> Pardon, but I'm not clear on this command, apparently.  Coming from
> fedora, I could just create a user, change the password, login, and
> everything would be set.  However, gentoo doesn't create
> /home/user_name ?

Use the -m/--create-home option.

> No problem, I created that directory.  However,
> "startx" as that user gives errors.

Did you create the directory as root? If so, did you do
"chown user: ~user" afterwards? If not, the user would not be able to
write to the home directory, resulting in the errors you describe.

--
Neil Bothwick

Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.