On 3/20/06, Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> That sounds pretty good to me.  So if I do a stage 3 install as per
> the current Gentoo docs plus 'emerge -e system' I will end up with the
> same thing that I did with a stage 1 install?  I remember thinking
> that I was getting a deeper level of optimization by starting with
> stage 1.  I can't remember the details anymore though.
>
> - Grant

Yes, effectively it's the same thing. In both cases (Stage1 or Stage3
+ emerge -e system) you've built every package yourself. Starting with
Stage3 gives you a usable system right at the start, while with Stage1
you need to spend a fairly large amount of time getting the system
ready.

Also, if you start with Stage3, you may not even need to rebuild the
installed packages, as if it's been a little while since the Stage3
image was created, there will be new versions of everything, so you'd
be rebuilding when you do a 'emerge -u system' anyways.

HTH,
Mike