I wrote most of that howto on the gentoo wiki, and I have to say that once you set up alsa, oss emulation, and skype correctly, it works like a charm.  I even have it redirecting output to another sound card which I have a headset built into.

A few things to note:

-Because this is an earlier version of the skype base software, a few features are missing and probably will be for some time.  This includes video, advanced noise reduction, ability to redirect output to one mixer and input to another, and the list goes on.  But for my purposes, it's just fine.

-There's a bug that pops up every now and then where Skype won't close your oss sound device after ending a call.  The only way I've seen to fix this is to close Skype, restart alsa, then reopen Skype.  Large pain in the butt.

Apparently Skype has been working furiously on a newer version where alsa support and the like will be built in, but I'm waiting to see that one.

--JBDubbs ([EMAIL PROTECTED] )