On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 20:50:26 -0500
Bruce Therrien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is there a limit to the files contained in a directory?

No.  Though the file system type can have an affect on performance if
there are a lot of files/directories.  For example, reiserfs is much
faster at handling a lot of files than ext[23].  What file system are
you using?

> we have over 19,000 in our store graphics directory
> and sometimes cannot acces it because the ftp
> software says it's not a directory.
> It's on an IBM server running gentoo.

I would think it is the ftp software and not the file system or
server.  19,000 is not a huge number.  I have an AMD64 3200+ with 2 GB
of dual channel DDR 400 and a SATA II drive with reiserfs v3.  The
system is "speedy" but certainly nothing high end.  Here is a test I
just did:

# Touch 19,000 files
[EMAIL PROTECTED] $ mkdir /tmp/bigdir
[EMAIL PROTECTED] $ cd /tmp/bigdir
[EMAIL PROTECTED] $ time for i in $(seq 0 19000); do touch $i; done
real    0m23.318s
user    0m6.370s
sys     0m16.364s

# list 19,000 files
[EMAIL PROTECTED] $ time ls -l
real    0m1.481s
user    0m0.235s
sys     0m0.163s

# Remove 19,000 files
[EMAIL PROTECTED] $ time find . -exec rm {} \;
real    0m12.555s
user    0m3.834s
sys     0m8.545s

Jim