I am having trouble capturing from a camcorder via firewire. I can control the
camera transport from each of the capturing applications (kino, cinelerra and
mainactor), but I get no video or audio. Nor do I get video when I try to use
the camera as a webcam in Ekiga (formerly known as GnomeMeeting).

I have made sure that I have read/write permissions for all the devices
in /dev with 1394 in their names. I have tried every variation of dv1394,
raw1394 etc. that I can think of in these applications' preferences. I also
made sure to modprobe dv1394, ieee1394, video1394, raw1394 and video1394
(whatever that is).

cinelerra has other, unresolved bugs to do with dv capture, so I didn't expect
that to work perfectly, but the other two I +have+ got to work in the past.

Apart from that, all that has changed since mainactor and kino worked has been
whatever has got updated through portage, and a 2.6.15 gentoo kernel with
reiser4 and suspend2 patches.

Where am I going wrong?

Many thanks in advance
Robert
--
Robert Persson

Conspiracy Bears:
Once upon a time there were lots of conspiracy bears...