Hello!!

Well, I'm an architecture student who has wasted tons
of time trying to get gentoo runing all kind of
necessary software for my studies.

Maybe if I tell you what software I use, it will help
you:

For 3d:
Maya for linux (prop.)
Pro/E for linux (prop.)
Blender -> IT'S REALLY GOOD (probably one of the best
pieces of software available) It is just not used for
companies.

For video:
Cinelerra

For vectorial drawing:
Sodipodi
Scribus (I really like it, it has all the necessary
things) -> use it instead of Adobe Indesign or
Illustrator

For raster images:
Well, of course, GIMP

For CAD:
Qcad (It is reeeeeeaaally BAD) unuseful for Autocad
people.
BricsCAD (prop.) It works OK for Autocad users. You
can get a Demo.

As you can see, unfortunately, there are still some
points where CAD/CAM and architecture linux users need
some propietary software. I tried many other programs
(like Varicad and so on) but they, simply, make you
waste your time.

Make any other question about this topic, I think I
can help you.

Good luck!!

.alvaro.castro.