>   Ouch; you're *NOT* going to connect the two
> machines while logged on
> via dialup, at least not without some fancy "route"
> statements.  If
> anybody can give an example of how to do it, I'd
> appreciate seeing it.
>
> > ------------K6-2.6.15----------------------
> >

> > lumberton ~ # route -n
> > Kernel IP routing table
> > Destination     Gateway       Genmask
> Flags Metric Ref  Use Iface
> > 192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0       255.255.255.0   U
>  0      0      0 eth0
> > 127.0.0.0       127.0.0.1     255.0.0.0       UG
>  0      0      0 lo
> >

>   Did you miss the last line when cutting+pasting or
> or was that really
> all?  Try "grep gateway /etc/conf.d/net" on your
> machines.  Here's what I
> get...

But, you never asked about ../net in your last post.

> # For setting the default gateway
> #gateway="eth0/192.168.0.1"
> gateway="eth0/192.168.123.254"
>
>   First, make sure that you are *NOT* connected via
> dialup.
>
>   On the K6, insert into /etc/conf.d/net the line
> gateway="eth0/192.168.0.2"
> and execute /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart
>
>   On the Sempron, insert into /etc/conf.d/net the
> line
> gateway="eth0/192.168.0.3"
> and execute /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart
>
>   You should now be able to talk between the two
> machines... but dialup
> won't work.  You may connect, but not get anywhere.
> Here's what you
> have to do on the Sempron...
>
>   - *BEFORE* dialing up "ifconfig eth0 down"; you
> can now dial up
>
>   - *AFTER* logging off dialup,
> "/etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart"; you can
>     now talk between the two computers

Well, I did all that and still no joy. The part about
not be able to connect to the net was true, though.

I thought emerging ftpd would be my salvation but that
doesn't work either. How do you start the bleeping
thing. I  even ran /usr/sbin/ftpd; it didn't gag but
it didn't start either. And there's supposed to be a
whole whack of files under /etc/. Nope. I found
xinet.conf but don't have a clue on how to edit it.

Then there's this. That 'disable' looks ominous.
Should that be set to 'no'? What about 'protocol'?
What should go there?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ cat   /etc/xinetd.d/ftp
# default: off
# $Header:
/var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/net-ftp/ftpd/files/ftp.xinetd,v
1.2 2004/08/14 13:41:20 swegener Exp $
support.

service ftp
{
        socket_type             = stream
        protocol                = tcp
        wait                    = no
        user                    = root
        server                  = /usr/bin/ftpd
        disable                 = yes
}

>   If someone has a magic configuration that allows
> eth0 and ppp0 to
> co-exist, and function, simultaneously, please post
> it.

Amen.