[snip...]
> > Yes, but GNU tar cannot do that, it can only do one command at a
> > time, either --extract or --delete or ...
>
> The simplest solution is probably to make several smaller tarballs
> instead on one containing the whole of /usr.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I ended up breaking up /usr into
smaller directories and I have now migrated the fs onto the laptop.  :-)

However, I tried the --exclude FILE option and could not get it to work.
In particular, I had a go with these:
===========================
 --exclude /mnt/hda5/portage/*
 --exclude /mnt/hda5/portage
 --exclude portage
 --exclude=/mnt/hda5/portage/*
 . . . etc.
I even used ' ' to enclose the path/pattern but I just couldn't get it
to work.  :-(

What did I do wrong?
--
Regards,