On Monday 27 March 2006 11:18, Meino Christian Cramer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Further probs/phenomena':
>  My previous system was an LFS one, from which I took the complete
>  configuration of the linux kernel. That's why I took a vanilla kernel
>  for gentoo (by the way: Why is it named "vanilla" for such kind of
>  things an not -- say -- straciatella, schoco, walnut or even tutti
>  frutti :O)

In U.S. English, "vanilla" has connotation of plain, despite being just as
much of an added flavor as strawberry or chocolate.

I'm not sure exactly where that connotation came from, but when Americans
talk about different "flavors" of an item (anything from software to cars
to ice cream) the one with the fewest features/modifications -- the
least "flavorful" -- is referred to as vanilla.

I'm not sure if this connotation extends beyond the U.S. border.  Heck I
don't even know if it's universal across the U.S., but everyone
understands it where I live.

--
"If there's one thing we've established over the years,
it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest