On 3/27/06, Teresa and Dale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Lord Sauron wrote:
>
> >On 3/27/06, Teresa and Dale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >Extremely clever.  I'll have to remeber cool tricks like that when I'm
> >working with my own server...
> >

> You can never know to much.  That's for sure.  I know I haven't had that
> trouble yet on my end.  o_O

I haven't had any troubles with that either yet.  Then again...  I'm
nowhere near where anyone could possibly or conceivably have a problem
with it.

> [...]
> >

> I always copy mine by hand.  That way I know it is there and what it is
> named.  Make SURE to mount /boot before you copy that.  If you installed
> as the manual says, /boot is not auto mounted at boot up.  mount /boot
> should work.
>

> >>That means you have to add it to the /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
> >>file for it to load the module when it boots.  This is what my file
> >>looks like:
> >>

> >So I'd add something like
> >

> >>acpi
> >>

> >?
> >

> >  Linux Kernel v2.6.14-gentoo-r5 Configuration
> >
> > ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
> >   ┌───────────────────────── IBM ThinkPad Laptop Extras
> > ──────────────────────────┐
> >   │
> > CONFIG_ACPI_IBM:
> > │
> >
> > │
> > │
> >   │ This is a Linux ACPI driver for the IBM ThinkPad laptops. It
> > adds             │
> >   │ support for Fn-Fx key combinations, Bluetooth control,
> > video                  │
> >   │ output switching, ThinkLight control, UltraBay eject and
> > more.                │
> >   │ For more information about this driver see
> > <file:Documentation/ibm-acpi.txt>  │
> >   │ and <http://ibm-acpi.sf.net/>
> > .                                               │
> >
> > │
> > │
> >   │ If you have an IBM ThinkPad laptop, say Y or M
> > here.                          │
> >
> > │
> > │
> >   │ Symbol: ACPI_IBM
> > [=y]                                                         │
> >   │ Prompt: IBM ThinkPad Laptop
> > Extras                                            │
> >   │   Defined at
> > drivers/acpi/Kconfig:197                                         │
> >   │   Depends on: !X86_VOYAGER && !X86_VISWS && !IA64_HP_SIM && (IA64
> >   │
> > Location:
> > │
> >   │     -> Power management options (ACPI,
> > APM)                                   │
> >   │       -> ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface)
> > Support            │
> >   │         -> ACPI Support (ACPI
> > [=y])                                           │
>

> That is the help screen.  I THINK the module will be called ACPI_IBM.
> Someone correct me if I am wrong though.  I think you take off the
> CONFIG_ part.  It may also need to be lowercase.  Keep in mind that case
> does matter in Linux.  Let someone chime in on that one though.
>
> >>I guess I do still have my sensors as modules.  Anyway, nvidia has to be
> >>a module.  You will see them when they load up.
> >>

> >Yeah, nVidia supplies proprietary closed-source drivers, don't they?
> >

> Yes they do.  They do work pretty good though.  At least they try.  Some

Wish they'd make better drivers for OS X though... none of my OS X
buddies ever use nVidia cards (which are better - if you wanna argue
you can talk to my GeForce 6800 anytime) because the OS X drivers make
them about as good as a ATI card.  Oh well... can't win 'em all I
guess.