On Monday 27 March 2006 20:43, JimD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
about 'Re: [gentoo-user] chroot':
> On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 19:56:22 -0600
> "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Yes, that's an option to, although with more than ~768K of ram it's
> > not ideal.
>
> Why is that?  I thought 32-bit should have no problems addressing
> 2GB?

I'm not sure about the exact technical reasons, but basically, if you want
more than 1G total visible you have to introduce the kernel BIGMEM or
HUGEMEM modes; both of which add a software component to each memory
access, from what I understand.  Without them (and no other kernel
hacking) your get a 768m/256m user/kernel split; With BIGMEM this moves up
to a 3m/1m user/kernel split; With HUGEMEM I'm not sure if there's a split
at all, but it slower than using the hw available in your x86_64 chipset.

Using the native, flat 40- or 48-bit addressing of 64-bit mode is much more
efficient than any of the kernel hackery that takes place above 768M.

Plus, with a 64-bit kernel, it'll have access to the 64-bit specific
registers. :)

--
"If there's one thing we've established over the years,
it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest