I was wondering about those multiple hits I get every time I use
whatis(1) or apropos(1) these days. Everything is listed three times,
which is kind of annoying. It's not too hard to find the culprit if you
look at whatis: /etc/man.conf lists /usr/man and /usr/X11R6/man as
separate entries for MANPATH but these are both links to /usr/shar/man
where the actual whatis-db lives. Now that's easy to fix, but I was
wondering
a) why it is like that in the default config (I don't think man.conf is
built dynamically depending on whether e.g. you install X11?) and
b) whether the best way to fix it would be to simply change man.conf or
convert /usr/man and /usr/X11R6/man to real directories and ask portage
for all manpages that are supposed to be installed there and move them
from /usr/share/man manually?

cheers!
        Matthias
--
I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0  8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665