James wrote:
I appreciate your sharing this tidbit. I looked at:

http://www.bostic.com/vi/

and saw what they said are advantages. What do you believe are the advantages of Nvi?

just curious,
BTW .. I used the following which fixed the wordwrap to 78 in an 80 column field.

TIN_VI_OPTIONS="set wm=2 co=80"
alias tin='EDITOR="/usr/bin/vi" EXINIT="${TIN_VI_OPTIONS}" /usr/bin/tin'

The advantage that I see is that NVI acts just like VI, which is what I have
learned.  I don't like trying to learn things differently if I don't need to.
NVI is just like what I am used to on FreeBSD and others.

Also, it is BSD licensed, which I like.

Tom Veldhouse