On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 11:03:58AM +0200, Penguin Lover Heinz Sporn squawked:
> Am Freitag, den 31.03.2006, 10:12 +0200 schrieb [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
> > Thanks to everyone who replied (Willie, Daniel, Todor...)
> >
> > Just out of curiosity: how long (approximately) does it take
> > to install a common gentoo-desktop (with X+KDE) on a notebook
> > (pentium-m 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM)? So that I knew how much time
> > to reserve for it...
>
> I have a 1.6 GHz Pentium-M with 512 MB RAM and I find that little beast
> a noch faster than my P4 2.4 desktop with 512 MB. I compiled a full
> blown Gnome environment including Firefox and OpenOffice 2 in less then
> a day. I didn't recognize temperature issues - every now and then the
> cooler turned on for a couple of minutes and that was it.

My experience is similar, though I'd say my laptop and desktop are
just about as fast (1.6PM+512ram vs 2.0P4+512ram). My last
'emerge -e world' on the laptop took just under 2 days: I don't
have any large packages like KDE or Gnome or OO, but that's also with
a lot of crap that I installed which is not necessary for a base
system.

If you leave you laptop in a well ventilated area, overheating
shouldn't be an issue.

As a side question, there used to be an option with 'genlop' which you
can pipe to it the output from 'emerge --pretend' and show the
expected total merge time. Is there a way of doing this with 'qlop'?

ARTHUR  What is an Algolian Zylatburger anyway?
FORD    They're a kind of meatburger made from the most
unpleasant parts
        of a creature well known for its total lack of any
pleasant
        parts.
ARTHUR  So you mean that the Universe does actually end not
with a bang
        but with a Wimpy?

- Cut dialogue from Fit the Fifth.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 139 days,  8:50