I am trying to run gdmsetup and getting "can't find display" type errors.

Here is what happened when I try to run it from an xterm:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ sux
Password:
zebedee robert # gdmsetup

(gdmsetup:6618): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.
Could not access GDM configuration file.
zebedee robert # exit
exit
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ sudo gdmsetup
Password:

(gdmsetup:6828): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

I then tried, as a test, to open a root xterm using sux and I got the
following error:

sux
Password:
zebedee robert # xterm
Warning: Tried to connect to session manager, Authentication Rejected,
reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and
host-based authentication failed

However the root xterm opened up anyway. It failed when I tried to sudo an
xterm:

sudo xterm
Warning: This program is an suid-root program or is being run by the root
user.
The full text of the error or warning message cannot be safely formatted
in this environment. You may get a more descriptive message by running the
program as a non-root user or by removing the suid bit on the executable.
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: %s
xterm:  DISPLAY is not set

However DISPLAY +is+ set. When I "echo $DISPLAY", "sudo echo $DISPLAY" or sux
and then "echo $DISPLAY" I get the same answer--  :0.0

This has got me quite confused. I used not to get these messages when I ran X
clients as root. Anyone know what is going on here?

Thanks in advance
Robert
--
Robert Persson

Conspiracy Bears:
Once upon a time there were lots of conspiracy bears...