yeah no what im really asking is am i going to run into problems if i 'upgrade' to gcc3.4 and do not, as recommended in the notes that are displayed after emerging gcc3.4, recompile all my c++ packages with gcc3.4.

is the version of libstdc++.so which is linked to determined by the compiler currently in use as determined by gcc-config? is it not possible to have different programs run against different versions of c++ shared libraries?

On 4/3/06, Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 21:00:39 -0700, Lord Sauron wrote:

> From what I read, if you have half a package using gcc3.3 and the
> other half 3.4 or something, that won't work.

If that were true, how would the system function while recompiling the
other half of the packages?

There may be some issues with running a mixed system, but nothing so
serious as "it won't work".

--
Neil Bothwick

Crash: (v.) to terminate a program in the usual fashion, i.e. by locking
up the computer or setting fire to the printer. (n.) the process of such
termination.