--- Alexander Skwar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> maxim wexler wrote:
> >
> > --- Bryan Whitehead <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> What do you mean by xover? FTP? SCP? NFS? Coda?
> >> HTTP?
> >
> > xover==crossover.
>
> Yes. So? What do you mean by crossover?

two PCs, one CAT5 cable w/ tx/rx lines swapped

> > <quote>ftp didn't work either</unquote>
>
> Aha. Why not? What error messages did you get?
> What's
> in the logs?

Basically, connection refused.

As far as the logs went, there were none! There was a
bunch of files that were supposed to be installed
under /etc, according to the man page, which didn't
appear. But emerge went smoothly. Except I was puzzled
that I had to emerge ftpd seperately. Emerge -pv ftp
didn't mention it. When I ran ftpd -D it would not
start but there wasn't any record of why not anywhere
that I could find. There was no sign that anything was
wrong; when I entered the command, the cursor just
went to the next line without a whimper. But ps -a
told the tale.