On Tuesday 04 April 2006 20:48, Lord Sauron wrote:
[SNIP]
> and then I modified /boot/grub/menu.lst:
>
> localhost ~ # cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
> default 0
> timeout 7
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> title Current Kernel
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3
>         initrd /fbsplash
> <----------------------------------------------------there is the
[SNIP]

So now you have told it where to find the theme files. Now you just need to
alter your kernel line to specify what theme to use and in which mode. An
example is given in [1]. But to view full documentation of kernel parameters
for splash type in a terminal (this assumes that you have splashutils
installed):

# zcat -c /usr/share/doc/splashutils*/kernel_parameters.gz | less

Also I have just added two sections to the howto i.e. [2] and [3].

[1] http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_gensplash#GRUB_Example
[2] http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_gensplash#View_contents_of_initramfs
[3] http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_gensplash#Choosing_a_theme

--