Teresa and Dale wrote:
Hi,

I have a little network here.  We have a cable modem that connects to a
Linksys router then we have two computers that hook to it and share the
internet. I have my Gentoo Linux box that I just installed samba on. She has a Windoze XP box. I think I have my samba set up, not real sure
though, but I can not figure out the windoze box.  I can ping the IP
address of her windoze box from my Linux box, no clue on how to do that
on her windoze box so I assume it can see my box too.
Windows 2000 and XP both have a number of UNIX-like network commands that you'd be familiar with, such as nslookup and ping - even "ipconfig" (similar to ifconfig). The options are slightly different though - ping /? should help you out.

If you have Samba set up correctly, Windows is effectively zero-conf aside from making sure you know what workgroup it thinks it's in. The samba machine will show up in Windows' My Network Places.

<snip>
Oh, the router uses DHCP so how do I let it figure out what the address
is?
Set your samba up as a WINS (Windows name resolution) server with the option wins support = 1 under [global] (AFAIR ;). The Windows box will now be able to lookup your Gentoo box by the netbios name you assigned it.
In case you can not tell, this is all new to me.  Here is the
testparm thing, I did read what I could understand at least:
Let me guess, copied and pasted from some tutorial without really looking at it? ;) Don't worry, that's a fine place to start. However, if all you really need to share is /mnt/data, you have *way* more stuff in here than you actually need.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / # testparm
WARNING: The "printer admin" option is deprecated
No need to keep deprecated options - man smb.conf can tell you if there's new replacements.

<snip>
WARNING: passdb expand explicit = yes is deprecated
ditto.
Warning: Service printers defines a print command, but print command
parameter is ignored when using CUPS libraries.
...meaning the 'print command' line doesn't need to be in there.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

[global]
        server string = Samba Server %v
        map to guest = Bad User
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        printcap name = cups
        dns proxy = No
        printer admin = @adm
If you don't plan to use the box as a print server, any and all printer stuff can be removed, including both print* sections. Specialized socket options shouldn't be necessary in most typical home setups. I don't know what the 'dns proxy' option does exactly, but I'm fairly sure you don't need it. You should have in here a 'workgroup' entry matching the workgroup the Windows machine thinks it's part of. You also don't have a 'security =' line defining the security model to use. I don't remember what the default is.
[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No
Not needed if you're only sharing one directory.
[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r   # using client
side printer drivers.
        browseable = No

[print$]
        path = /var/lib/samba/printers
        write list = @adm, root
        guest ok = Yes
Not needed if you aren't a print server.
[DATA]
        path = /mnt/data/
        guest ok = Yes
        case sensitive = No
        hide unreadable = Yes
        veto files = Donna-windoze/
        hide files = Donna-windoze/
        veto oplock files = Donna-windoze/
        msdfs proxy = no
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / #
What *is* all this stuff? O_o The first two lines make sense, the third one somewhat (I personally recommend case sensitivity, but it's up to you.) No idea what the rest of them do. What you don't have that you need is either 'writeable = yes' or 'read only = no' so that the Windows machine can store its data in here. Also, you have 'guest ok = yes' and no valid users specified, so *any* user

OK, it's now a few minutes later and I've looked these up in man smb.conf. You don't want the msdfs proxy option, since you don't have a DFS going (as far as I can tell). Hide unreadable makes some sense - I might start using it myself. On these other hand, why would you want to hide the very files she's supposed to be accessing? Even sillier with the vetoing - now she can't access them at all! In other words, what you have here is a partition with all files *whose path contains* 'Donna-windoze' hidden, everyone prevented from accessing (writing *or* reading) them, and then hidden again because of this. Since you don't have oplocks disabled for the share, the 'veto oplock files' also makes no sense. In any case, you aren't likely to need to lock anything much (again, in a typical domestic setup).

What I am trying to share is /mnt/data/.  Not sure what that other stuff is.
So why'd you leave it in then? ;)
Oh, if this will work in IE, that would be a HUGE plus.  She still uses
that thing.  < pukes >  I'm also not sure what to type into IE to get to
my box either.
If you have the 'wins support = yes' line (or whatever it actually is) in [global], then she will be able to browse to it over the network or find it by its netbios name (defaults to its hostname if you didn't assign one explicitly, which you didn't). I wouldn't bother typing a name in - rather, use Windows Explorer to go to "My Network Places", and find "Computers Near Me". If you have them both in the same workgroup properly, your machine will show up there. The other place is under Microsoft Windows Network -> (name of workgroup).
Thanks for any help you can provide.  I was following a how to but I
think I got lost, hopefully just on the windoze part.
A print server howto, yes. Not exactly in line with what you intended, by the look of it. :)
Dale
:-)

Hope I've cleared up at least a little bit of confusion. Feel free to e-mail me privately if you want to talk about this more or want to see my smb.conf - other than that, all you need is to have a little sit down with man smb.conf and Google. Less is more - a simple network needs only a very simple smb.conf.

Ryan