On 4/11/06, Richard Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 4/11/06, Daevid Vincent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > If you comment out the line:
> > >
> > > Load "glx"
> > >
> > > in xorg.conf, do you still get the crash?
> >
> > No. X starts now. But "glxgears" segfaults.
>
> So it is definitely opengl related.

Maybe an idiot question... Have you tried the drivers directly from
NVidia, unmerging the nvida-kernel and nvidia-glx drivers and just
downloading and running the NVidia Installer? I just say that because
I once had problems with the portage versions, tried the installer and
it worked. In another computer I had no problems, but after putting
the NVidia installed driver it gained 20% performance...

> What DE do you normally run?  KDE, Gnome, ?  It seems to me that one
> the programs being started as part of the DE is trying to use opengl,
> and causing a crash.
>
> Have you tried playing with the RenderAccel, NoRenderExtension,
> NoFlip, and AllowGLXWithComposite options?  The safest settings for
> these should be:
>
> Option "RenderAccel" "Off"
> Option "NoRenderExtension" "On"
> Option "NoFlip" "On"