On Friday 14 April 2006 03:54, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
> If you have smart enabled (and you should have) and smartmontools installed
> (you should have done that too), smart can tell you, if it is a hardware
> problem (which is pretty probably the cause of the problem).

Thank you very much for the pointer. I had never heard of this before but it
is definitely going on it the future.. It confirms that the disc has 39 bad
blocks so now I am reading the faq to figure out how to deal with this. :)

> Back up everything...

As stated in the original post I am trying to.

But when I try to copy everything to an external harddrive after some time the
external harddrive is disconnected. I am not sure if this is a separate issue
or if it happens as a result of too many errors on my system disk.

Anyway I have backed up everything that cannot be replaced so first I will
deal with the bad blocks and then if the problem remains I will probably tar
everything up to my server via ssh..

> > PS. This mail is signed. Can anyone verify the signature?

[...]

Thanks to you and Boyd for your replies on this too. From Boyd's post I am
guessing that it works as well as it can work and from yours I am guessing
that it needs some more configuration than you have done. Not sure though..

--
Bo Andresen