David Corbin wrote:
What package is this rc-config command contained in?  I don't have it on
my system, and as far as I can tell from Googling it's been obsolete
since 2004.3 in favour of rc-status.

equery yields:

app-admin/eselect-1.0 (/usr/bin/rc-config -> /usr/bin/eselect)

rc-status seems like it's quite adequate, but nothing seems to have ever gotten rid of rc-config....

David
delta ~ # eix eselect
* app-admin/eselect
    Available versions:  1.0 ~1.0.2
    Installed:           none

Well, that would explain a bit. ;)  Thanks David and Peter.

And as for my comment about it being obsolete: http://gentoo-wiki.com/Talk:TIP_Speed_up_your_boot_time#.22rc-config_list.22_appears_to_be_obsolete was the only Google result relevant to the command `rc-config`.