Le mardi 18 avril 2006 à 11:47 +0200, Petr Kocmid a écrit :
> On Tuesday 18 April 2006 10:14, Frédéric Grosshans wrote:
>
> > Any idea left ?
>
> So, you definitely have a hardware problem. Digging for the id of your device
> 1043 8006 reveals a linux kernel mailing list archive thread:
>
> http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0410.0/0023.html
>
> with the identical problem: the device worked in some computer and not in
> other.

That's a bad news, since the goal of an USB stick ist precisely to move
data from one computer to another.

<reading the complete thread, at
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=109656092700004&r=1&w=2 >

 what is strange, is that the 1043:8006 was precisely the identity of
the stick on the working computer. Futhermore, this usb stick has worked
on the same computer.

> I see two possibilities: a slave controller chip incompatibility or
> insufficient power problem, device wants to sink more current than port
> actually provides at +5V. Port should provide up to 500mA, while many
> notebooks are very weak at usb power and do not keep up the standard.
>
> To eliminate the first one, you should seek for the computer (or maybe an
> external usb hub) which will work with that chip.

That's currently impractical for me. I may try several computers when
I'm back home.

> To eliminate the power issue on your equipment, you can try to measure
> consumption at the +5V with some prepared usb cable or even try to feed the
> device from an external power source. You will need laboratory equipment to
> do it (A regulated laboratory power supply with current limitation). Ask some
> electronics engineer.

"never give up" is actually your motto !

I could look for such equipement here (I'm in the physics department of
a Chinese university), but I do not feel like it (I already destroyed to
much electronic equipment during my PhF thesis !)

> As a first aid, try an external usb hub with it's own power supply.
I'll try when I'm back home (in may)

> 1G flash chips require a lot of power to operate, and not having enough is
> consistent with your symptoms of "no media".

I didn't know. I naively thought "the bigger / the better" and I don't
really need something so big...

Could that be that the power consumption of the stick increases with the
volume of the files on it ? Which would explain the correctness of the
first tests (with small files) and the problem when the key holds a
bigger file...

By the way, if it's a hardware problem, would it be useful to get the
stick replaced by another of the same model ? Or is that a model
problem ?

        Fred