On Monday 17 April 2006 09:41, John Jolet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote about 'Re:
[gentoo-user] evms':
> On Apr 17, 2006, at 9:34 AM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > On Monday 17 April 2006 09:14, John Jolet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
> >
> > about '[gentoo-user] evms':
> >> I want to end up with lvm logical volumes on top of a
> >> software raid-5.
> >
> > In your situation, I'd get rid of evms, it's not needed.  Use mdadm to
> > create a raid5 volume from your 3 drives, then use the command-line
> > lvm
> > tools to create a pv, vg, and all the lvs you want.
>
> is it your opinion that evms does not add any value in terms
> of resizing logical volumes and volume groups, etc?

I've never needed any of the few additional features EVMS provides.  (The
only one that comes to mind right now is BBR, which modern HDs already
do.) It /can/ make things a /little/ easier, since it allows you to resize
a block device and the filesystem (or whatever) on top of it with a single
(non-atomic) operatation.  However, I didn't like any of the UIs provided
by EVMS, I found them both too minimalistic in what information they
showed by default, and cluttered with options I'll never use.

I prefer the command-line for most administrative tasks, and I prefer the
dm/md/lvm/fs-specific tools over the EVMS CLI or ncurses interface.  I
know that none of this really answers your question directly, but I wanted
to provide some background.

I don't think that EVMS adds any features (= value) I (or most people) will
use; I think its interface has less value than the interfaces already
exist.

--
"If there's one thing we've established over the years,
it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest