On 22:27 Fri 21 Apr     , Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 11:24:11 -0700, Richard Fish wrote:
>
> > > su -c "ebuild /path/to/slocate-2.7-r8.ebuild digest;emerge --verbose
> > > --ask slocate"
>
> or even "emerge --verbose --ask --digest slocate"

Didn't know about '--digest' switch... As I'm playing with some CVS/SVN
overlays it's really useful for me.

> > But do an emerge --sync first.  The most likely cause of this is that
> > your last sync was done while the server was being updated, and you
> > got the updated manifest but not the ebuild.  These kinds of problems
> > are almost always fixed by a new sync.  Using the digest command is
> > overkill.
>
> Not to mention potentially dangerous. If the digest mismatch is a fault
> in portage, a sync will usually fix it. But if it is due to a compromised
> archive, redigesting removes that safety check.

Yes, It was definitely a bad bad answer by me. The "Files listed in the
manifest do not exist" claims for a resync and not for a redigest.
I rarely has sync issues . Whenever I had digest issues they were related to
SVN/CVS overlays,
so redigesting is safe there, AFAIK.
My apologies to thread starter.

Cheers.