Hi,

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 17:50:37 +0100
Mick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yes, no error.  The module is installed fine as long as I have run
> setserial first.

Hm, that's how it should be with fast infrared drivers. All OK, then, I
guess.

> > You might want to try to have the default
> > serial driver not touch the IrDA port at all -- the simplest thing
> > would be to try running without serial plug support for the start.
>
> I am sure that if I could first improve my understanding with regards
> to how serial ports are being used, I would be able to find the
> solution much easier ;-)
>
> I have enabled serial drivers in the kernel because I intend to
> configure the winmodem for dialup connections, as well as being able
> to connect my Psion PDA on the serial port.

You need serial drivers (what I called "serial plug support" before)
for the latter. The winmodem will probably use its own driver that
provides a serial device which is functionally equal to the ones from
the serial driver - but does not depend on the serial driver. But for
actually using the "real" serial ports on the back of your PC you'll
have to use the standard serial drivers. So no need for recompiling
here, the "setserial uart none" should suffice. An option that's left
would be compiling both IrDA drivers and serial device drivers as
modules and probing IrDA first and serial second.

> How does it exactly work?  What is the "serial plug support"?  Are you
> referring to the kernel modules for serial ports?

Yes, I was.

> > This seems to indicate that you're trying to use /dev/ttyS2. But as
> > you're not using the serial port IrDA driver but an extended FIR driver
> > the device is probably "irda0" (and it doesn't have a path, as it's a
> > network device). Try "ifconfig -a", it should be listed. I don't have
> > IrDA on my current machine, so I can't tell what exact configuration
> > setting must be changed from "/dev/ttyS2" to "irda0". Start with this,
> > first.
>
> Actually, ifconfig gives me not ida0, but irlan0:
> [...]

Hm, that's not how it should be. There should definately be the irda0,
too. That's the device the smsc FIR driver should provide. I just had a
look at the sources of the driver you're using (smsc-ircc2) and it
indicates that the error message "No transceiver found. Defaulting to
Fast pin select" may be an effect of a wrong ircc_fir setting. But I
can't help much further, here. The only suggestion left, obviously not
the best one, is to keep away from FIR and use SIR instead. As you'll
be using the "standard" serial device driver anyway, you can then
compile the IrTTY device driver instead of smsc-ircc2.

> I will be rolling up a new kernel soon so I can try leaving out the
> serial support drivers.  As I said above I desperately need to
> understand how the serial port functionality works in linux.  If this
> is getting too much OT for the list please email me directly so that
> we don't consume bandwidth.  :-)

I don't suggest leaving out the serial drivers, as you'll need them for
the Psion connection. And reg. list traffic: You'll need this audience
if further problems arise as I'm at the end of my wisdom right here ;-)

-hwh