Just a warning, the netkit-telnetd and telnet-bsd clients do not work
identically.

I was recently testing some remote control software that connected to a
remote telnet port. The software would issue command like:

echo jump mainmenu | telnet mythtvbox 6546

Piping to telnet worked with netkit-telnetd's client but not
telnet-bsd's