Jeremy Olexa wrote:

> Yup, ipw2200 works fine with Gentoo. I have never tried installing with
> wireless though. Have you tried networkless install to get it working
> and then once gentoo is running update the system? Or perhaps install on
> a wired connection (I'm sure you would try this if you have the ability
> to =)
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2006.0/handbook-x86.xml?full=1
> (includes instructions for networkless install)
>
> Sry, I can't help on the installer issue, I haven't ever used the LiveCD
> to install, only console.
>
> -Jeremy

Thanks for the tips Jeremy.

I did get it to work.  I will file a bug with Gentoo about the install
CD missing the ipw2200 firmware.

For those interested here is what I needed to do.  My laptop is a new
Toshiba and has an Intel Pro ipw2200 based wireless along with a wired
eth0.  However the wired nic is a Marvell Tech. piece of junk and does
not work.  So the only two options I had were to get my ipw2200 working,
which I knew worked under Ubuntu or try my D-Link pc card.  The PC card
did not work.

What I did was boot with the latest Ubuntu install CD.  It is very nice
and is a full working Gnome system.  That CD did have the needed ipw2200
firmware binaries so I could get to the net.  However, it did not have a
compile tool chain so I could not build Gentoo chroot with it.  I used
the Ubuntu CD to cfdisk my partitions just like I would with Gentoo.  I
then downloaded the firmware (I grabbed every version to be safe) to the
new partitions and booted with the Gentoo install CD.  I then modprob -r
ipw220, turned off the hardware switch for my wireless card and
extracted all the firmware tarballs.  Flipped the wireless switch on,
modprobe ipw2200 and net-setup eth1.  I then had to manually us iwconfig
and then I was able to ping my gateway and get to the net.

I get to have Gentoo on my vacation!

Jim