Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I just got an evaluation copy of VMWare Workstation 5.5, and I'm
> momentarily glad
> I didn't pay for this thing.  It seems to expect a RedHat style
> runlevel system.
> Has anybody successfully fooled with this thing to make it work on Gentoo?
>
> At the moment, its problems seem to be related to the daemon management
> features.  I could clone them, but it would be a lot of work.
>
> --
> Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
It looks like there is an ebuild.

However, I use VMWare workstation 4.x.  All it really needs is
/etc/rc.[0-6] directories and a symlink.
Try the ebuild or just do what I did:

cd /etc
mkdir rc.d
for i in $(seq 0 6); do echo mkdir rc${i}.d; done
ln -sf ../init.d

After that you should be able to run the installer.  The installer will
place a file named vmware in /etc/init.d/.  I just run that file before
I want to start VMWare.  All the startup script does is bring up the
virtual network that vmware uses.

Jim