Hello list,

I've tried to move my built-in ide (via) and rootfs (reiser) modules outside
of the kernel, but when I try to boot the new kernel and its corresponding
initramfs, it fails miserably with one of the following messages.

If I use "root=/dev/hda7" (my root):

  Unable to mount root fs on unknown block (3,7)

If I use "root=/dev/ram" (that's the device in the initramfs made with
mkinitrd):

  Unable to mount root fs on unknown block (1,0)

I do this every day using Debian boxes, so why it is so hard on Gentoo? What's
the correct way to make _and_ use an initramfs on Gentoo?

Many thanks in advance,
Norberto

--
Norberto Bensa