Farhan Ahmed wrote:

>Hi,
>       I want to know which is the best file system for a high
>performance Linux? I'm presently a encrypted ext3 file system for my
>Gentoo Desktop machine.. I've heard that ReiserFS provides the best
>performance.. Is it true? What about XFS? My file system is created
>using the following command :
>
>       sbin/mkfs.ext3 -j -m 1 -O dir_index,filetype,sparse_super /dev/***
>
>I want to know what all options I can use for ReiserFS, ext3 and XFS to
>get the maximum performance.. Also I have this in my '/etc/fstab':
>
>       /dev/ROOT  /   ext3  noatime,data=journal
>       /dev/SWAP none swap  sw
>       /dev/XXX  /doc ext3  noatime,nodev,nosuid,noexec,data=journal
>       /dev/USR  /usr ext3  noatime,nodev,data=journal
>
>What should I modify top get the best performance in all (ReiserFS, ext3
>and XFS) file systems?
>
>Thanks In Advance,
>Farhan Ahmed

Well, it depends on a lot of things.  From what I have read, one of the
biggest things it depends on is the size and number of files you have.
The speed of your CPU will affect this too because journaling has some
overhead.  I use reiserfs and have had no problems with it but depending
on what you are doing you may need something else.  Here are some links
for you to read.  This may help.

http://linuxgazette.net/102/piszcz.html

http://linuxreviews.org/sysadmin/filesystems/

Happy reading.